Friday, August 31, 2007

my most expensive pair of shoes

today i was home alone and since i really didn't have a reason to leave the comforts of home, i decided to look through the piles of junk in my cupboards and throw out the crap (shocking because my parents have been bugging me for some time to get down to doing it). and really, there is a lot of clutter in my room.

in the midst of all the excavation, i chanced upon an interesting item - now, most girls/women i know have a thing for shoes. we simply love shopping for shoes! it probably tops clothes, lingerie and handbags any day. i've always been pretty good with not splurging on shoes (though that doesn't mean i don't own many pairs - i share quite a lot with my mom so they don't blow a hole in the wallet). the one exception to this was on a trip to San Francisco when i was 15 (to visit family friends). i had just started learning pointe several months before and my shoes were getting really small so i was eager to visit dance shops while we were in the US (they have racks and racks of clothing AND shelves jam-packed with every type of dance shoe imaginable!). i remember walking into one shop and asking to try on some pointe shoes. i loved how helpful staff were and they didn't mind you trying on 10 pairs and not even buying in the end (ahh if only service were this good in Singapore). but once i tried on this pair, i loved it! nevermind that they cost US$100 (i think - something like that) - my parents were really nice and very willing to pay to see their daughter happy (sigh). when i got home i had problems darning the shoes (because the satin was so tightly wrapped around the shoes) that my ballet teacher (equally enamoured by the beauty of the shoes) offered to help me darn them. and at the end of the day, i only wore them about once or twice in class (i gave up pointe because they really hurt my toes, especially as my big toenails curl upwards at the end).















ahh these beautiful shoes...

















even the packaging is gorgeous... the box daintly says
i love the tag line... ("Every product is designed to enhance the beauty of movement")and i even found my first pair of pointe shoes!















AND see the difference in size?


ahh my beautiful shoes...

No comments: