Thursday, December 27, 2007

how do you explain the concept of happiness?

over coffee today, R talked about how there is nothing really to be happy about, that success only brings feelings of relief that you've not failed.

i disagreed, saying that there are many things in life that he/people should be happy about, not just merely relieved for. his reply was "what then?". and it took me some time to answer that question. i guess i've never really thought about why i feel happy. i just feel it. there are so many things that make me happy. and happy as in 'brings a smile to my face' rather than 'not sad'. my answer was 'friends and family'. he said, 'but you can't choose family'. i replied, 'you can take steps to making things better'.

it amazes me how pessimistic and disillusioned with life a young person can be. or maybe i'm one of the abnormal ones. i'm happy with my life. genuinely happy. i've got a great family (and even though they may annoy me at times, there's something warm about being with family), a boyfriend who wants to be with me even though he is miles away (thousands, actually), a job where i'm trusted with a reasonable amount of responsibility - a job i rather enjoy doing, friends who are quirky and loveable. life isnt perfect but hey, i dont need it to be perfect to be happy. in fact i like it the way it is, idiosyncratic and all.

No comments: