Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Pumpkin part deux

Because a $15 pumpkin goes a long long way...

I had to figure out a way to finish the other half (since the first half made enough soup for the party plus 2 meals after that for me and my folks) so I decided to make pumpkin cake as I had seen an article in the papers recently about using vegetables to make cake (have you heard of chocolate zucchini cake?!)

Before you make pumpkin cake (or in my case, I poured the mixture into soufflé cases and called them muffins!), you need to prepare the fresh pumpkin purée. All you need to do is to cut up the pumpkin into 4 or 5-inch pieces and slowly roast them in the oven (about 2 hours). Simple as that - the low heat will cause them to caramelise and taste really nice.

To make pumpkin muffins:

Sieve -
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons groundnutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a large mixing bowl, whisk -
1 3/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs

Then whisk in -
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups fresh pumpkin purée

Add the dry mixture into the wet one and whisk until smooth. Pour into the cups and bake in a pre-heated (22o degrees Celsius) oven for 15-20 mins.


I brought these to work and people who don't usually eat pumpkin really liked it so it's a good way to get people to eat their veg!

And the sad news was I ran out of sugar to make a second round so I still had to figure out ways of finishing up the (now) roasted pumpkin. Which meant I ate pumpkin mash (just add butter and salt and pop in the microwave for 2 mins) the next day.

I think I'm staying off pumpkin for a while...

1 comment:

JoSh said...

I want pumpkin muffins :( :(